Thursday, August 11, 2016

Destroying The Devoid Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

Answer: Destroying The Devoid was just a project I started as a musical outlet to get out ideas that I couldn't normally in other projects past/present. As of now I am the only member. Some people might think it is a full band but as of now it's just me.

2.You have an album coming out in August, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?

Answer: I would say the vibe of the music overall is very dark. The music stylistically changes from song to song but I think Paramnesia definitely has a cohesive sound. I would consider it progressive death metal. Because at the core it has the death metal influence but fluctuates throughout the album.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?

Answer: The lyrics tend to deal with humans and how we perceive our reality. It's definitely not from a spiritual/universal perspective. But more of how we deal with our day to day lives. The stress of getting caught up in just trying to survive or dealing with insecurities. Also beyond the dark veil I, II and III is sort of a mini concept that deals with death from different perspectives. From  dealing with the lost of a loved one, dying and transcending to the afterlife and then back to the first person and coming to terms with death.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Destroying The Devoid'?

Answer: To me it's about empowerment. The word devoid means empty or lacking of. We can all at times feel devoid of lots of things. Sometimes people feel they have nothing and just give up. Destroying The Devoid to me is taking a stand and doing something about it. We control our lives and have the power to create a better future for ourselves.

5.With this musical project you record everything by yourself, how would you compare it to working with a full band?

Answer: It has it's good and bad. When it's just me I have to be the one to say "is that good enough?" Also I'm writing everything. That was the biggest challenge with this record. Plus learning the art of recording, mixing, programming etc. But I really enjoyed all of it! It allowed me to really dive deep into these songs and see where I can take them.

6.The album is coming out on 'Unique Leader', are you happy with the support they have given you so far?

Answer: I'm very happy. I've been with 2 different bands on this label. I feel very fortunate that Erik Lindmark gave me the opportunity to release this on UL.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of extreme metal?

Answer: So far the feedback has been surprisingly good. It's still a very new project so I'm just trying to get the word out. Hopefully people who like the record help by just telling people about it.

8.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that you are a part of?

Answer: Other then this I've been writing A LOT for the new Deeds of Flesh record. We're in the process of wrapping up the bulk of the writing. We recently got Darren Cesca on drums. This new album is gonna be the next level of Deeds of Flesh.

9.Where do you see yourself heading into musically during the future?

Answer: Musically I just want to have no rules. I love just getting inspired and going with it. I don't write music for anyone but myself. Definitely keeping it progressive and dark. I already have a concept and some music written for the next DTD album. I can't wait to start pre production on that!

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Answer: It varies. I am really into film score music. I have been a big Danny Elfman fan for years. Also Han Zimmer, Brian Tyler, Jonny Greenwood(There Will Be Blood) Also I really dig Author and Punisher. That guy is a one mans band who is really pushing music into the future. Also Steven Wilson, Ihsahn, Opeths newer/older albums, I'm a huge Dream Theater fan too. Also I really dig the Conquering Dystopia record that came out a while ago.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

Answer: Although music pretty much consumes most of my time. A lot of people probably don't know this but I'm a big fan of billiards. Just like playing guitar it requires lots of technique and precision. Plus it's just a fun game to play!

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Answer: I just wanna say thank you very much for the interview! Please check out the new album Paramnesia out August 19th on Unique Leader Records. Also check out my YouTube channel and other social media sites to keep up to date on all my current projects.

Facebook
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment