Monday, October 13, 2014

Dead Alone Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the recording of the new album?

Fred: We are really happy! "Nemesis" became our most grown-up album and we are also a little surprised about the final result. Some songs just sound more intensive than we might have expected! And we are also really excited about the first reactions we received from the press and some musicians!

2.You have a new album coming out in December, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?

Fred: Well... I think on "Nemesis" we have tried a lot of things that are new to us. Songs like "Wreckage", "The Awakening" or "As Worlds Collide" are very dark, melodic and dissonant and also a little demanding. I just wanted to try something that´s new for me with these songs, specially with the lead guitars.

On the other hand, we added more melody with some songs like "Nemesis", "Watch Me Fall",  "Shade" or "Daughter Of Confession". Martin just loves melodies and he brought this to a new level for DEAD ALONE. "Nemesis" is simply more grown-up. I love all the albums we´ve made together, but for example on "Vitium" or "Ad Infinitum" we had plenty of ideas, but now I think it could have been more. I think that´s what some people may call evolution!

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?

Flo: The lyrics I write are always a valve for my personal feelings and impressions. For "Nemesis" I was influenced by decline in every imaginable way. There are topics like death, the loss of beloved persons or the extinction of mankind due to their own actions. The last years were very dark for everyone in the band and "Nemesis" is the reflection of this time.

I don´t like splatter- or gore-lyrics very much. I will not talk about sensless topics, I want to suggest on real subjects that are confronting us every day.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Dead Alone'?

Fred: I didn´t establish the band, but the idea was to have a name, and DEAD ALONE was the name that enforced itself.

Flo: In the beginning we were searching for a fitting name and we had some ideas and proposals. We had a lot of discussions about it and finally DEAD ALONE was the name that fits best the idea behind the band.

5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?

Fred: For me, the best shows we´ve had so far were definitely in Verone (Italy), St. Johann (Austria) and a few gigs in Munich. Our stage perfomance is: Bang your fucking head! Of Course not to  every single song, to ballads like "Silhouette Empire" a wind mill or very excessive headbanging just wouldn´t match. We always try that the stage performance is matching the songs – but we do not have a choreographer or something like that. For "Nemesis" we also have outfits as you can see on our promo pictures. We´ve collected some ideas and gave it to my mother. She´s a seamstress and gave our ideas the form it has now! With the new album we also will have a stage design which is based on the artwork Flo made.

6.Do you have any touring or show plans once the new album is released?

Fred: Yes, we do! At the moment there are some gigs we´re going to have, for example with RAW INSECT in November 2014 in Munich, we´ll also play a show on "The Dark Side Of Munich 2015" on February 7th. We are also thinking about going on a little tour over some weekends, but I can´t say too much about it yet, it´s nothing we are having hard facts about.


7.The last couple of albums have been released by Supreme Chaos Records, are you satisfied with the support they have given you over the years?

Fred: "Ad Infinitum" was the first album released by Supreme Chaos Records, and now "Nemesis" is the second one. SCR is our first label, and we are really happy with them! I´m not saying this just because we are signed there. But if you´re reading some stuff about other labels the way they care about things I´m always like "Duuuude! They must be kidding. Picking Supreme Chaos Records was a really good choice and we can always talk about any ideas we have – it´s just a great label!

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black, death and doom metal?

Fred: Oh, the feedback was very well in general! As I told you, we´ve had some gigs in Italy yet, and also in Austria. In Italy, the people are very very thankful for metal music, and they also liked our stuff every time we were there to perform a show! Also in Austria we have some fans – at least, we had the slot right before BELPHEGOR on a show in St. Johann. That´s great, because that´s not our home base!

Unfortunaly, we had less gigs during the last years, but this will change during the next months!

9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

Fred: To be honest: I´m not quite sure. We actually have changed our sound with every album. But I think it´s possible, that it will stay the way "Nemesis" sounds now. Maybe!! Because our inspiration is changing time up to time! The only thing I can say for sure is, that we will stay with our melancholic death metal sound.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Fred: The bands I´m listening to nowadays and that gave me inspiration are SVART CROWN, SECRETS OF THE MOON and ULCERATE. Of course, I have some all-time favourites like PANTERA, KILLSWITCH ENGAGE, SEPTICFLESH and GHOST BRIGADE, just to name a few! But I was looking for some dissonant and maybe some weird ideas.

SVART CROWN and ULCERATE showed me, that it is possible to do that stuff. I always wanted to try something like that, but in the past I wasn´t too sure how to achieve that. Even though the songs I made for "Nemesis" aren´t as extreme as from these two bands. But  this was not my intention to copy their style!

Flo: In recent times I´m listening more and more to soundtracks. Especially composers like Hans Zimmer, Tyler Bates, Steve Jablonsky or Alexandre Desplat. But besides this non-metal artists I´m influenced by Doom, Death and Black Metal. There are many bands that have influenced me like MY DYING BRIDE, GOJIRA, HACRIDE, SEPTICFLESH, EVERGREY, ICED EARTH or DISBELIEF. I was always fascinated by dark music and the atmosphere and I think that is the reason why I started making music.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

Flo: Painting, photography, design and illustrations are my passion. It´s the best work-out for me after a busy day. I love it to forget the normal day by creating something individual.

Fred: Cars, specially oldtimers and youngtimers. I´m a car mechanic, so this is maybe an  occupational disease – but I loved the smell of gasoline since I was a boy. I have an old Japanese car from 1989, it´s a Honda Prelude in a good condition. It´s still sleeping in my garage, but I think next year I´ll drive it a mile or two (laughs). On the other hand I love photographing and painting, but the level I do this isn´t that high yet.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Fred: Thank you for this interview! And thank you to everyone who made this album the way it sounds now! Thanks again to Christos Antoniou from SEPTICFLESH for his awesome orchestration on “The Awakening“. Check us out live on our shows and: Check out our album "Nemesis"! STAY METAL!

Bandcamp
Facebook
Homepage
Instagram
iTunes
Myspace
SoundCloud
Spotify
Twitter
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment